BV Infection

by Jane

Q. I am getting this yellow smelly stuff in my knickers. I know it is called BV but I don't know how to get rid of it for life. Could you help me ??

I am 13 years old and it is not pleasant because it smells of fish and it is ruining my life. Everywhere I go I feel horrible and I smell horrible.

I need a home remedy because I am too embarrassed to go to the doctors please help :) Thank you x

A. What I'm wondering is how do you know absolutely that what you have is BV? I'm not saying that it isn't, but I do know that during your early teenage years as hormones start kicking in can be a time when you get quite a thick discharge.

Some women -because they've had BV a number of times - can diagnosis themselves pretty accurately but I do think you need to get this checked by a doctor. The problem is that this type of discharge can be caused by a number of different things and what will treat one infection will make another worse. So unless you're absolutely sure that it is BV you could take something that actually makes the discharge worse.

My first choice would be to tell your mum. If you can't do that, is there some trusted older woman you can tell? Or can you make an appointment to see your usual doctor?

I know it seems embarrassing but believe me doctors see to these sorts of problems all the time. As you get older, you will probably have children, you will (if you're sensible) have cervical smears - all things where you have to go through an experience that feels embarrassing. I mean I still don't LIKE having my cervical smear done - but I get it done every three years because it is one health check that can potentially save my life.

What I'm saying is that women have to get used to embarrassing checkups - it goes with the territory!

The following is what the Center for Disease Control suggests as the best treatment for BV.

Recommended Regimens

Metronidazole 500 mg orally twice a day for 7 days
Metronidazole gel, 0.75%, one full applicator (5 g) intravaginally, once a day for 5 days
Clindamycin cream, 2%, one full applicator (5 g) intravaginally at bedtime for 7 days

The NHS Central Lancashire has a Sexual Health Clinic - Tel: 01772 777140.

There is also a Family Planning & Sexual Health Clinics. Tel: 01253 657171| Hawes Side Clinic, Crompton Avenue, Blackpool, Lancashire FY4 3LQ

You really do need to discuss this with a qualified professional. Both of the above I believe will have some sort of free service that you can use. And the people at these clinics spend all day talking about these types of things! Take a girlfriend with you - you don't have to take her in with you unless you want to but she will give moral support in getting to the appointment and waiting. Or grit your teeth and do it on your own.

I know this feels awful but try to remember that countless other women have had this type of discharge and we all end up having to talk about it with someone. And I'm sure this isn't the sort of reply you want but it is what I honestly believe you need to do.

You're being sensible in knowing that you need to do something about it. Make an appointment to get tested to see exactly what is causing this discharge.

Good luck with it.

Click here to post comments

Return to Vaginal Infections and Probiotics.