Florastor is a probiotic yeast containing freeze dried cells of Saccharomyces boulardii.
It contains 5 billion yeast in each capsule. They are freeze dried (lyophilized - that's the lyo you often see after its name) and should be kept at room temperature and NOT refrigerated.
Isn't it refreshing to come across a probiotic that you DON'T have to mollycoddle!
It is made by Biocodex who bought the original yeast and the methods for producing it over 50 years ago. Florastor is one of the most studied (if not THE most studied) probiotic about.
It has been proven to help the immune system4, degrade C difficile toxins A and B4, inhibit cholera toxin4, stimulate digestion4 and protect against Salmonella2.
Great results against C diff infection getting reviews like "helped me get over a 3-month battle with c-diff" and "helped my husband control and get rid ot the bout of C.dif, that he had for 5 months." You can read all the Florastor reviews here and here
Important: both of the above links go to Amazon reviews but the second one is for 3 bottles so, yes, read about how other people have found it, but don't buy a large quantity until you know whether it is the right product for you.
Also good reviews for Candida infection in chest, GERD, IBS, digestive troubles, yeast infection in breast (was going to have to stop breast feeding), SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and celiac disease.
If you're looking for the cheapest place to buy Florastor - try 50 capsules from Amazon.
This brand does not have to be refrigerated. Many other brands that contain S boulardii are NOT stable at room temperature. This one is.
I am often asked whether the other brands such as SB+MOS by Jarrows are the same - whether they are as good. It is an understandable question because most other brands of S boulardii are cheaper.
The short answer is no they are not quite the same. They do contain the same strain of yeast. However, there are two reasons why I recommend Florastor over the others.
1. Almost with exception, the studies done used the orignal Biocodex yeast as a single supplement, NOT in combination. Different varieties of bacteria and yeasts do not always get along. Sometimes they kill each other off!
If a brand uses the orignal research (which almost all do) where it was always used as a single species then you just don't know if you get the same results when it is mixed.
Most other brands proof comes from research on - not their own product - but on Florastor!!!
2. In a study on different brands containing Saccharomyces boulardii, half of them did not contain the number of yeasts that their label stated they did.3
Not all of the brands in the study gave protection against disease. Differences in the how the products were made seemed to influence how effective they were, despite the fact that they contained the same yeast3.
That is why my recommendation is always for the original Florastor.
1. Lynne V McFarland. Systematic review and meta-analysis of Saccharomyces boulardii in adult patients. World J Gastroenterol. 2010 May 14; 16(18): 2202-2222.
2. Flaviano S Martins, Guillaume Dalmasso, Rosa M E Arantes, Anne Doye, Emmanuel Lemichez, Patricia Lagadec, Veronique Imbert, Jean-Francois Peyron, Patrick Rampal, Jacques R Nicoli, and Dorota Czerucka. Interaction of Saccharomyces boulardii with Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium Protects Mice and Modifies T84 Cell Response to the Infection. PLoS One. 2010; 5(1): e8925.
3. Martins FS, Veloso LC, Arantes RM, Nicoli JR. Effects of yeast probiotic formulation on viability, revival and protection against infection with Salmonella enterica ssp. enterica serovar Typhimurium in mice. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009 Dec;49(6):738-44. Epub 2009 Aug 29.
4. Flariano S Martins, Regina M D Nardi, Rosa M E. Arantes, Carlos A Rosa, Maria J Neves, Jacques R. Nicoli1. Screening of yeasts as probiotic based on capacities to colonize the gastrointestinal tract and to protect against enteropathogen challenge in mice. J. Gen. Appl. Microbiol., 51, 83-92 (2005).