Many mothers believe that probiotics for children - whether given as a food or a supplement - will boost their child's health.
In fact, in one study1 when mothers were ask to rate how safe they believed five different products to be - organic leafy green vegetables, synthetic multivitamin, antibiotics, homeopathic remedy and probiotics - the probiotics were rated as the safest for their child to consume after organic leefy green vegetable.
And with good reason. The two most studied probiotics for children, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Saccharomyces boulardii have shown time and again that they are of benefit to our children's health.
Let's look more closely at these two probiotics and what the scientific health studies have show they can do.
Culturelle's Kids! Chewables Probiotic (Berry Flavor) 30 Count (Pack of 2) contains the Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG probiotic.
Saccharomyces boulardii is a beneficial form of yeast. Yes - you read that right - despite the bad press that yeast gets there is a type of yeast that is good for us.
You can buy FLORASTOR KIDS 250MG PCKT as a powder that can be mixed with food.
If you prefer to give your children foods that contain probiotcs then your main sources will be yogurts (Live and Active), aged cheeses and saukerkraut.
1. Sarah L Bridgman, Meghan B Azad, Catherine J Field, Nicole Letourneau, David W Johnston, Bonnie J Kaplan, and Anita L Kozyrskyj. Maternal perspectives on the use of probiotics in infants: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014; 14(1): 366. Published online Sep 29, 2014.
2. I. Hojsak, S. Abdovic, H. Szajewska, M. Milosevic, Z. Krznaric, S. Kolacek. Lactobacillus G.G. in the prevention of nosocomial gastrointestinal and respiratory tract infections. Pediatrics., 125 (2010), pp. e1171-e1177
3. Foolad N, Brezinski EA, Chase EP, Armstrong AW. Effect of nutrient supplementation on atopic dermatitis in children: a systematic review of probiotics, prebiotics, formula, and fatty acids. JAMA Dermatol. 2013 Mar;149(3):350-5
4. L. Näse, K. Hatakka, E. Savilahti, M. Saxelin, A. Pönkä, T. Poussa, et al. Effect of long-term consumption of a probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, in milk on dental caries and caries risk in children. Caries Res., 35 (2001), pp. 412-420
5. Kotowska M, Albrecht P, Szajewska H. Saccharomyces boulardii in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhoea in children: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Mar 1;21(5):583-90.
6. Zhao HM, Ou-Yang HJ, Duan BP, Xu B, Chen ZY, Tang J, You JY. Clinical effect of triple therapy combined with Saccharomyces boulardii in the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection in children. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2014 Mar;16(3):230-3.
7. Vandenplas Y, De Greef E, Devreker T, Veereman-Wauters G, Hauser B. Probiotics and prebiotics in infants and children. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2013 Jun;15(3):251-62. doi: 10.1007/s11908-013-0334-4.
8. Ozkan TB, Sahin E, Erdemir G, Budak F. Effect of Saccharomyces boulardii in children with acute gastroenteritis and its relationship to the immune response. J Int Med Res. 2007 Mar-Apr;35(2):201-12
Measures pH in the correct range for women's health