Salton Yogurt Maker
The Salton yogurt maker comes in two models, the YM9 and the YM7. Occassionally there are other models to be found second-hand.
They give a 1 year limited warranty on both models of this electric yogurt maker.
To make yogurt in either model you need;
4 cups (1 quart) milk (it can be whole, 2%, 1% or skim milk)
1/4 to 1/2 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt (with live cultures)
No thermometer included nowdays (it used to be included with some older Salton models) so do yourself a favor and buy one.
Salton yogurt maker instructions
Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dry milk powder to 1 quart of milk. This milk powder will give you a thicker yogurt
Heat the milk on the stove to 185-190°F. Do not let it boil. Stir frequently.
Plug in the yogurt maker to warm while your milk is heating.
Cool milk to 110-115°F.
Pour some of the milk into a clean glass and add the half cup of plain yogurt or 1 package of yogurt starter. Stir until evenly mixed.
Pour this mix into the rest of the cooled milk and stir.
Now pour the milk into the pre-heated yogurt maker.
And that's it. You're done.
Leave it for 6-12 hours. The exact amount of time will take a little experimentation. The longer you leave the yogurt "making", the more tart it will become so experiment to find what suits your tastebuds.
Salton yogurt maker YM9
Points to consider:
- Very few products are still sitting on a 4 and a half stars after almost 600 reviews. Users LOVE the Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker
- Makes up to 1 quart.
- The domed top of the Salton YM9 1-quart yogurt maker makes storage difficult in smaller fridges.
- Inside container is freezer safe so you can make frozen yogurt with ease.
- No on/off switch - you plug it in and you unplug it!
- The dial on the top is not a timer despite the fact that they call it one. You just turn the "timer" to however many hours you want to leave it for as a reminder for yourself. It will NOT peep, ring or tapdance across the kitchen to attract your attention - you have to look at it and remember.
Salton yogurt maker YM7
- Plenty of fans for the Salton YM7 Yogurt maker with 7 individual cups on Amazon although not as many as the YM9.
- This model also makes up to 1 quart but in 7 individual 6oz cups.
- Has on/off switch at the front.
- Clear lids.
- Flat lids make it much easier to store in fridge (but more of them!)
- Same issue with timer as in YM9. This is not a problem so long as you realise it is simply a reminder for you.
Like to read my reviews of other brands? Donvier, EasiYo, and Tribest Yolife.